July 2016 Update
Thank you for your feedback. The result has been the following three documents.
- Upcoming Report 15: Figure 1: Timeline of Strategy Stewardship in the New Zealand public service, 1980–2015 Infographic. Learn more about the timeline here.
- Working Paper 2016/01: A History of Strategy Stewardship in the New Zealand Public Service 1980–2016, found here. This was previously a draft of Chapter 3 of Report 15: History of strategy stewardship in the New Zealand public service, 1980–2015.
- Upcoming Report 15: Appendix 1: Government Priorities 2006–2015. This will be updated for 2016 and will be included in the upcoming report.
February 2016 Update
Thank you for your interest in this work and for the feedback that has been provided. Since the launch of the 2015 GDS Index in October 2015 we have had further discussions with interested parties and individuals with knowledge of the history of public service strategy, in particular Graham Scott, Stephen Cummings, Rodney Scott and Richard Kirkland. As a result we have released three additional documents for review:
- Report 15: Figure 1: Timeline of Strategy Stewardship in the New Zealand public service, 1980–2015 (an illustration);
- Report 15: Chapter 3: History of strategy stewardship in the New Zealand public service, 1980–2015 (this draft forms part of the upcoming Report 15 – Strategy Stewardship: Strengthening the role of government department strategies in the public science); and
- Report 15: Appendix 1: Government Priorities 2006–2015.
We have been focusing on creating an illustrated history of strategy stewardship in the New Zealand public service from 1980–2015. We identified this as the missing gap in the policy landscape. This area of history has proved quite elusive for our researchers due to the complex nature of the events discussed, and the difficulty of accessing some historic resources and reports which describe significant changes in public management. Because of this, we acknowledge that we may have inadvertently excluded some important events from the timeline, or misrepresented the significance of some that we have included.
Feedback for these three documents was open between December 2015 and February 2016 but has now closed. However if there is a specific issue or event in strategy stewardship history you would like to discuss, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 499 88 88.